Objective of the article
- To learn how to start a DJ business
Key Learnings from the article
1. Business Idea – DJ Business
This business idea is perfect for those who love music and partying.
2. How to Start DJ Business?
- Take a DJ course: If you are inclined towards music, then start with doing a DJ course.
- Internship with a famous DJ: After the completion of the DJ course, you can do an internship with a famous DJ or assist him/her.
- Do business in association: You can also get into an association to start a DJ business.
- Start business independently: The business can also be started independently.
3. Promotion – DJ Business
It is very easy to promote the DJ business. You can promote your DJ business among:
- College friends
You can promote the business on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
You can create fan pages on social media platforms to connect with people and get business.
4. Licence – DJ Business
No licence is required to start a DJ business as of now.
5. Investment – DJ Business
For a DJ business, investment is required for:
- DJ course
- DJ console
- DJ mixer
A basic setup including all the above things will need an approximate investment of Rs. 1.5 Lakh.
You can rent the DJ equipment if you do not want wish to buy the equipment.
Several vendors are available in the market that rent out the DJ equipment and also take the responsibility of logistics. You can add this to your margin to the cost and charge accordingly from the customers.
6. Marketing – DJ Business
Apart from your social circle, internet marketing is an important tool to make a funnel of customers for the DJ business. When you will do shows and people find your performance good, then you will get businesses thru referrals. This is a major source of business in the industry.
Word of mouth is very important in this business. So, whenever you go to an event, it is important to carry all the promotional material with you to use it for branding on the:
- LED walls
7. Earning – DJ Business
At the beginning of the DJ business, you can charge Rs. 5,000 to 10,000 per day.
The income will increase as your profile as a DJ will grow.
Side income can also be generated by equipment renting and adding margins to it.
You can double or triple the income by associating the DJ business with the event management and event organising businesses.
On average, a DJ can earn an annual income of Rs. 10 to 12 lakh in the first few years. Further, you can earn as per your ability, profile, or clientele.
Mention your performance at mega-events in your profile. Use the pictures and details of the mega event performance to generate business. This is known as a show reel.
8. Growth – DJ Business
In the wedding season, if you do 10 events per month and charge Rs. 10,000 per event, your revenue will be Rs. 1 Lakh.
But as wedding season is for a limited time, so in the off-season, you need to run the business by:
- Doing corporate events for which, you will need to touch base with event management companies that do corporate events.
- Doing performances in night clubs and 5-star hotels
Use the extra profits to scale up your business.
9. Pitfalls – DJ Business
You may not able to grow your DJ business, if you:
- Are an introvert
- Have shy nature
- Have stage fear
- Lack of stage presence/personality
Due to this, you will face problem in:
- Business expansion
- Regular business
You have to overcome your shyness, become a little extrovert, and bring a little spark in your nature.
To beat the competition in the DJ business, you need:
- To be unique
- To develop some USPs in your performance
- To learn to innovate in your music
Massive Action Plan
Watch Bada Business ‘Hit or flop’ video before investing in the DJ business.
Key Outcomes of the article
- Start a DJ business if you have an interest in music
- Focus on playing the same music differently to be unique in your business
- Grow your DJ business by continuous innovation